The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
AnneMarble said:
I'd be upset that all that nice evidence was burning. :)

Anne, why do you think they want everything electronic? It's so they can pull the plug and destroy the evidence or so they probably think. Problem is, we're acquiring the evidence just as fast as they've been destroying it, so it's still going to be available to the courts when that day comes.

What gets me is that they ought to have enough sense to know that a day in court is inevitable unless they close down now or start terminating writers properly.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sparhawk said:
"How do you feel knowing that your publisher has been labled disreputable and actually impedes the success of their writers?"

"How do you respond to the fact that several PA authors are actively working to close your publisher?"

Shotgun fashion bang!, bang!

My wife said that my jaw dropped and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I admit that I was totally unprepared. THe other writers were simply asked puffball questions about their book and their current works in progress. I figure I'd have a great plug for my next book;

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I have to deal with the ghost of PA.

I looked around quickly and it was obvious that the librarians were embarrassed for me but I still had to come up with an answer. I didn't think it would look good to really say how I felt about PA seeing as I was holding one of their books... MINE, in my hot little hand. But I'd be damned if I was going to sit here and defend their business practices.

Anyhow here was my response, more or less.

"When I signed with Publish America, I was very grateful and excited that a publishing company thought that my book was worthy enough to be printed and distrubuted. At that particular time I was not aware of the current controversy surrounding PA. I was simply overjoyed to have my book released and made several assumptions about PA that were incorrect.

TIme and experience, for good or for bad, are excellent teachers and I, unfortuantely, discovered these truths after I had signed my contract and received my books. I beleive that my book has merit and can stand on it's own regardless of the publisher or said publishers tarnished image. If you really want to know the detailed story of PA, discover it the same way I did through Absolutewrite.com. There are no lies or politics there, just actual PA authors who have been through what I am currently going through.

I don't feel that this is the appropriate forum to further adress this issue. If you have a question about my book I'd be mnore than happy to answer it."

Well, that's pretty much it. The guy wrote a few things down in a spiral pad and then gave me a couple of real questions pertaining to my Novel.. he actually did read it, but at that point I already was in dire need of a bathroom break and a large splash of cold water on my face because I knew I was red with discomfort.

My son said he had never seen me turn so red before and he actually heard one of the librarians groan when the questions were asked.

Bottom line, the word about PA IS getting out there.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Sparhawk. I know this fight is difficult for all of us, but it is important. For what it's worth, you handled the situation beautifully and I'm proud of you.

The fact that word is getting out there gives us all hope that our efforts will save those we are working for. We've already signed these insidious contracts and been taken advantage of by these vile scammers, but we may be able to keep others from the same fate.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Three gets you seven that guy was a newspaper reporter, and you'll be reading more about PublishAmerica real soon.
Add me to the several who've posted that they had the same thought. From the confrontational tone of his questions, he may have expected an answer like "You don't understand. PA helped me fulfill my dream, and they're a traditional publisher!"

Afterthought: I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's reading here. Maybe he'd like to stand up? Or announce the article when it comes out?

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Keep me in mind . . .

I will be out the rest of the afternoon -- and part of the evening. I have a heavy weekend coming up that could subject me to the situation that Sparhawk faced. As I said, I always go prepared, but the whole mess just takes the fun and joy out of everything that should have been a dream fulfilled. I'll be so glad when my commitments are finished.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your support and help. The PA scam and let down would have been a more difficult road to travel without you.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
lizziepants said:
Remind me to never /ever/ get drunk and sit down at the computer. My apologies. I'd never burn them down, however, I would likely stand across the way and laugh while they blazed.

People may wonder why you're standing in a cemetary laughing hysterically, but okay. :Jump:

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Ann said:
I will be out the rest of the afternoon -- and part of the evening. I have a heavy weekend coming up that could subject me to the situation that Sparhawk faced. As I said, I always go prepared, but the whole mess just takes the fun and joy out of everything that should have been a dream fulfilled. I'll be so glad when my commitments are finished.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your support and help. The PA scam and let down would have been a more difficult road to travel without you.

Good thoughts for you, Ann.

Good luck!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Ann said:
I have a heavy weekend coming up that could subject me to the situation that Sparhawk faced.

Tell the truth and shame the devil.

Your publisher doesn't define you.

Many writers have horrible experiences in their pasts, many of those experiences are in dealing with publishers. Maintain your calm, and your poise.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Anne, why do you think they want everything electronic? It's so they can pull the plug and destroy the evidence or so they probably think. Problem is, we're acquiring the evidence just as fast as they've been destroying it, so it's still going to be available to the courts when that day comes.

What gets me is that they ought to have enough sense to know that a day in court is inevitable unless they close down now or start terminating writers properly.
I think they've lost sight of the fact that they're not the only ones playing with fire -- and playing to win.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:

Good luck, Ann. I'm sure you'll do fine.:)

SeanDSchaffer

Ann said:
Were there 2 threads going? Because this one http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11943.htm

is still up and running with Sean's comments, as well as Joyce Anns.

Yes, that one will probably remain up for a while, because it was meant to insult ABC and our own Diana Hignutt. Also, my comments are still there, but I can't post any new comments because like I said before, I have been banned from their public boards.

(Although it might be pointed out I can still access their Private Boards, so I guess the T-Shirt sizing on my part earlier may have been a bit premature.)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SeanDSchaffer said:
Yes, that one will probably remain up for a while, because it was meant to insult ABC and our own Diana Hignutt. Also, my comments are still there, but I can't post any new comments because like I said before, I have been banned from their public boards.

That's very strange indeed. ABC is a fairly reputable company; why would they leave that post up? I guess they're hoping more people will dog pile on to attack me...

diana

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The reason some of the postings on the PA forum remained in place so long is because of the recent rapid posting on AW exceeded the reading and comprehension ability of the PA monitors assigned to watch for clues on the AW board about what to delete on the PA board.

Maybe we should use big arrows to help them find the clues? ;)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In total fairness, Gena is a current PA author who wasn't met with open arms.

That kerfluffle went on over 200 posts in the period of just a couple of hours. After the first person said words to the effect of "looks great on the blackboard; let us know how it works in the lab" that should have been the end of it.

If we want more PA authors to post, please don't let the tone degenerate.

Same with the Dave Drown situation. We don't make friends and influence people by going all personal and confrontational as the first move.

You want to make a case? Pitch an op-ed to the same paper.

I don't share everyone's long-term goals. But for right now, regardless of our goals, we can share tactics.

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
AnneMarble said:
I'd be upset that all that nice evidence was burning.
smile.gif

Believe me, I've got plenty of other evidence sitting on my shelves--49 crappy quality PA books. Phhhoooeeeey. In fact, they'd probably be a good thing to burn, as that's about all they're good for now. <teehee>
emoteFairydust.gif
<<<<<<<<--this is not a wand, it's a match. HA!

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
From the "It Can't Get Any Worse For An Author" file come this. It is old news, but I found this here at:

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff104646.htm

A PA author writes:

To begin with, I am an aurthor and I have a book with Publish America. I write Sci-Fi and the book is called the **-***. This company has been very good to me and the Fasnisty presses are now loosing money because (FINALLY), a company has come along and gave the aurthor a chance to get his book pubished without some little press in someones basement charging an arm and a leg and getting rich from some poor aurthors work. All this negetive reporting must be coming from these little presses because now they are loseing money left and right because now the aurthor doesn't have to spend their life saving getting their book printed. and if people would stop and think, these fanisty presses only print the book but they charge an arm and a leg to print it. they don't put it on the market, their printing is of very poor quilty and they cut corners left and right. So before an aurthor gets frightened from these neg. reports, just think, this company is giving him or her a chance to get published; isn't that what the aurthor wanted in the first place. like I said, they have been very good to me

That was written back in September of last year. I wonder how happy this person is with all that PA has done for him after his first royalty statement?

And to add insult to injury, when you look his book up on Amazon, it has the wrong description attached to it. :Headbang:

Last edited:

lizziepants

Resident Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
I don't share everyone's long-term goals. But for right now, regardless of our goals, we can share tactics.

I don't especially have any goal at all. If I did, it'd be only that innnocent unsuspecting people not be swept up in the lies that are PA. Those that have been should be welcomed with open arms, in my opinion. And, as I said, I probably wouldn't burn anything down, in fact, I don't feel any malice at all -- I chalk my PA experience up to a lesson learned. However, I slow down when I see wrecks on the freeway. *grins*

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
From the "Don't let PA kill your writing dreams" Department:

I just made my first sale as a professional childrens writer today (to none other than Highlights Magazine). :D

Don't let the PA mistake get you down. Use it as a motivator and keep writing!

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
In total fairness, Gena is a current PA author who wasn't met with open arms.

To be honest, I am surprised that PA has not sent shills here before as it is a typical internet BB trick (not to say that I thought she was a shill, however, I don't think anyone will argue that she was not a troll). Knowing the kind of anger and frustration that runs through some of the authors here who were taken in by them it would be a simple matter to send someone over to provoke emotions. Considering that this is only one thread, and as was demonstrated, it can be derailed quite easily by simply providing a disruptive target for anger and frustration, it would serve PA's purposes to get us to look like...

...well, like what they say we are. :Smack:

The question to my mind is -- considering that we all want basically the same thing here -- what will we do the next time it happens?

And it will.

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
WhisperingBard said:

I just made my first sale as a professional childrens writer today (to none other than Highlights Magazine).
biggrin.gif

Oh gosh, W.Bard, that is wonderful! That is a great magazine! Congratulations!!!
emoteThumbs.gif

Marlene

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
WhisperingBard said:

I just made my first sale as a professional childrens writer today (to none other than Highlights Magazine). :D

Congrats, Bard! :Trophy:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
WhisperingBard said:

Yay!

Happy Writer Party!
:partyguy: :PartySmil :banana:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
From: http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/newauthors/3183.htm

-----
Okay, so to answer your original questions:

1)Does the publisher give us any training or send us any instructions on marketing?

- PA will send you a small looseleaf booklet about the basics in marketing. Now is the time to do your own research. Get some books at the library on marketing. Read the past posts on these forums as far back as you have time for. You will find a huge amount of marketing information right back to summer of 2004 at least. Use your search engine and find the topics you are looking for with key words. Your marketing begins when the manuscript is sent to PA.

2) What exactly does the publisher do beside send out our list and press releases?

-That is pretty much it. Just like most other publishers they do not market or even edit much. Most of this is up to you. It is part of being a writer. It has nothing to do with any lacking on PA's part. It is just the way things are in the writing world. You are on your own.
PA will send out 100 notices to contacts. If you have them send you one too, you can photo copy it and send it to anyone else on that list. PA provides a free postcard which you can use to help announce your book to anyone you know with an email address. PA will send newspaper press releases to your local newspaper outlets. You must provide them with the contact information. Be as detailed as possible. If possible, give them a contact name as well. If you have multiple newspapers in town, list them all to PA. Follow up with an email or a phone call at the newspaper office. You may want to consider sending in your own Press Release. Just because the paper gets a release does not mean they will use it. There is lots of competition for print space.

3) Exactly how do they sell our books?

-PA has contracts with Ingram and Baker & Taylor. These are 2 of the largest bookstore and library book distributors. Most bookstores order from them. PA also accepts and encourages direct orders from individuals and retailers by offering higher discounts. For instance, Ingram's discount is 20% off to retailers whereas PA's begins at 40% and escellates with an increased number of books ordered.

3) Or do we have to sell all of them ourselves?

- Authors have multiple methods of getting books sold. Some resort to selling the books themselves. I do not agree with this particular method. I am a writer, not a store. I do not have capital, nor am I willing to pay for shipping twice (once to get the order from PA and again to send to customer). If you try to sell books, you will need to keep track of taxes, charge shipping and handling, have packaging material on hand and be glued to your office - rather than writing. Your discount at PA begins at only 20%. And authors do not receive royalties on books they personally purchase. So your profit is reduced. As well, you have to keep tight records of which retailer has your book on commision, how many copies they have and so on. Personally, I do not go this route. Market like crazy, promote like mad and pester retailers. You'll get in the stores if you keep working hard.

4)One of my most difficult challenges will be visiting my target audience where the setting of my book is. The book is a biography of a man back in Texas. Does anybody have any suggestions that make my marketing any easier?

- The internet is your greatest marketing tool. You don't have to come from Texas or anywhere else to find a book worthy of reading... Better start hitting the Net and get your marketing plan designed...

------

:faint:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jeff said:
I am surprised that PA has not sent shills here before as it is a typical internet BB trick

They have. CSI, Popper20, and Sandy come instantly to mind.

Perhaps a designated Shill Response Team should be mustered?

For everyone -- no matter how tempting the bait, you don't need to rise to it. Recall that Willem and Larry are master baiters.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
CaoPaux said:
From: http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/newauthors/3183.htm
- The internet is your greatest marketing tool. You don't have to come from Texas or anywhere else to find a book worthy of reading... Better start hitting the Net and get your marketing plan designed...
Just one more reason to invoke my own personal incantation formula:

You got burned, self.
Step back.
Have a hissy fit if you have to.
Have another one.
Get even if you can.
Get over it.
Move on.
:cry:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaoPaux said:
Just like most other publishers they do not market or even edit much. Most of this is up to you. It is part of being a writer.

This is both false and misleading, but I don't hold it against this author. I'm sure he's heard the same thing countless times -- from people who aren't themselves writers, or who do not understand publishing.

Many writers, themselves, do not see or understand the marketing that publishers routinely do for all their books.

Publishers do as much marketing as they need to do in order to get the greatest return on any title. That seldom means book tours, endcaps, magazine ads, or front-of-store placement. To say, however, that because you didn't get those extras that the publisher didn't market your book is ... not a good understanding of reality.

As to editors "not editing," are you saying that the folks who list "editor" on their business cards are scamming their employers every two weeks when they pick up their paychecks?

You can read the exact same complaint from writers -- how editors no longer edit (like they used to in a golden age about ten years before that writer started publishing) -- in their letters and journals back to the 1920s.

Nothing's changed, publishing's a business, and the readers drive it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.