The police did it again, sat on a handcuffed man until he died.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MSNBC segment

The NAACP has called for federal investigation into the death of Frank Tyson, an Ohio man who told police "I can't breathe" while he was handcuffed. MSNBC's the Rev. Al Sharpton is joined by civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump and Angela Rembert, cousin of Frank Tyson.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yeah, I saw this on the local news here in Cleveland this past week. :(

• Sad
Reactions: MaeZe

BustedPrinter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know @dickson, I seriously don't get it. I really don't. :e2cry:😭😭😭😭
I don't have the answers either.

I do wonder though if the police need to attract a new type of police personality type? I know in the past they looked for aggressive people, and the people that asserted authority were much sought after by the police, but while it never was right, with todays video technology everywhere, it just is not working for them. It just cannot be swept under the rug like it was so wrongly done in the past.

I am just not sure an aggressive, alpha male personality type can be "retrained"?

It seems seeking out more understanding personality types would suit society far better. It just seems with most of these situations the amount of compliance force applied in terms of what they are accused of, is just so way off. I mean, do the police realize who they are pig-piled on for a vagrant charge is going to be bailed out in two hours anyway?

Deescalate man.

Deescalate.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the answers either.

I do wonder though if the police need to attract a new type of police personality type? I know in the past they looked for aggressive people, and the people that asserted authority were much sought after by the police, but while it never was right, with todays video technology everywhere, it just is not working for them. It just cannot be swept under the rug like it was so wrongly done in the past.

I am just not sure an aggressive, alpha male personality type can be "retrained"?

It seems seeking out more understanding personality types would suit society far better. It just seems with most of these situations the amount of compliance force applied in terms of what they are accused of, is just so way off. I mean, do the police realize who they are pig-piled on for a vagrant charge is going to be bailed out in two hours anyway?

Deescalate man.

Deescalate.
Sad but true that some personalities can't be retrained.
Another factor is that I suspect people with that kind of personality may tend to gravitate to that kind of work, where they have 'permission' to shove people around. Some people use this for good (quelling riots, stopping fights) but some push it as far as they can, until 'oopsy' and they are caught on camera.
Also, one attack dog in a bunch of herding dogs may be useful, and the others will curb his tendencies, but if a bunch of attack dogs/aggressive cops get together, there will be trouble.

• Sad
Reactions: dickson and MaeZe

BustedPrinter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know where the answer lies.

At work, my coworker and I watch a lot of Sovereign Citizen videos on youtube and with their smug all-knowing attitudes that is completely based on fantasy claims, they NEED their windows smashed out and given a hard dose of reality and authority. I know some criminals are hardened and cannot be reformed and its good we have people that take on pure evil with every intention of winning.

But then you see the opposite sometimes too, of these police officers that are so aggressive. Like the police officer that emptied his gun (17 rounds) into his squad car with a handcuffed person inside it because an acorn fell and made a loud bang on top of the car hood. Loose cannons like that need to find another job. Heck I was stopped for "snow obscuring my license plate" during a snowstorm and as the police officer approached I had to tell him to back down and take his hand off his gun. Jeesh guy, if you are that scared for your life, find a different job. Its a traffic stop in THE safest county for crime in all of the country. Probability says, you'll be alright.

It just seems the role of a police officer is changing now that video is everywhere, and yet these vile cops just get let go and then go from one police department to another with 50-60 criminal complaints against them, and the thing blue line just defends them to the death when they have proven they are not fit to wear the police uniform.

• Sad

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Doesn't seem to help that their union doesn't WANT to change or excise the toxic elements -- hell, I wouldn't be surprised that the toxic violent elements are RUNNING the union.

• Angry

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
This is how we train police in the US.

The system we have is irretrievably broken. Fundamentally we have to expect more from police officers, but we don't teach them that way.
I would also posit that there are some things they do now that we have to stop expecting them to do. Mental health calls should probably at least include someone trained in mental health (and de-escalation training who’ll actually use their de-escalation training, but I digress). I would be for reducing their workload to actual crime.

The Ohio Attorney General’s Office is investigating. A little too little, too late in my view, but maybe it will result in some repercussions?

BustedPrinter

Registered
Reaction score
I would also posit that there are some things they do now that we have to stop expecting them to do. Mental health calls should probably at least include someone trained in mental health (and de-escalation training who’ll actually use their de-escalation training, but I digress). I would be for reducing their workload to actual crime.

The Ohio Attorney General’s Office is investigating. A little too little, too late in my view, but maybe it will result in some repercussions?
This is a very valid point.

I knew a lady who had a son with deeply troubled mental issues and he was constantly in trouble with the law because they did not know how to deal with him. They tended to take him to the arrested side of things just because it was quicker and easier. Put him in jail for awhile and he was out of harms way and not bothering the public after all. But long term it did very little. But in life, the harder way to do things tends to be the right way to do it too.