Today's books, not yesterday's

Leeris

Registered
Reaction score
Over the years, several authors' names have been brought up on these types of sites over and over again. The list varies from time to time, but ideally, you'll understand without my reciting it in any of its variations.
As fantastic as all those writers were, and some still 'are,' they all seemed to be writers of yesterday (And in my experience, they are always men. That's another thread).
It leaves me feeling left out. There is still today, you know.

What is everyone reading today? And more importantly, what will we be reading tomorrow?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a great thread idea!

I'm reading Danielle Scrimshaw's She And Her Pretty Friend which re-examines the place and stories of queer women in (largely post-colonial) Australia. Loving it so far, and I'll let you know if it ends well.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Over the years, several authors' names have been brought up on these types of sites over and over again. The list varies from time to time, but ideally, you'll understand without my reciting it in any of its variations.
As fantastic as all those writers were, and some still 'are,' they all seemed to be writers of yesterday (And in my experience, they are always men. That's another thread).
It leaves me feeling left out. There is still today, you know.

What is everyone reading today? And more importantly, what will we be reading tomorrow?

What are you reading today?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My problem is with so many books out there, by the time I get to the new releases they are yesterday's books. (I promise I'll get to White Oleander, Snow Falling on Cedars, and The Poisonwood Bible one of these days!)

Current authors I'm excited about: Jennifer Egan, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay. I'm still committed to Dave Eggers. I'm sure there's more. I really need to be keeping better track of what I read.

I recently read The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride, so he's now on my radar.

Reactions: Maryn and mccardey

Leeris

Registered
Reaction score
My problem is with so many books out there, by the time I get to the new releases they are yesterday's books. (I promise I'll get to White Oleander, Snow Falling on Cedars, and The Poisonwood Bible one of these days!)

Current authors I'm excited about: Jennifer Egan, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay. I'm still committed to Dave Eggers. I'm sure there's more. I really need to be keeping better track of what I read.

I recently read The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride, so he's now on my radar.
What's that about?

Leeris

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Roxane Gay's Opinions for my next non-fic read.
I'm slow to take up non-fic. Though, it rarely disappoints. It just isn't the 'escape' I'm looking for when I typically pick up a fiction book.
I must say, some non-fic is better than others, too. It can be just as much a gamble as it is with fic.

Reactions: mccardey

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slow to take up non-fic. Though, it rarely disappoints. It just isn't the 'escape' I'm looking for when I typically pick up a fiction book.
I must say, some non-fic is better than others, too. It can be just as much a gamble as it is with fic.
I like to have one of each going at the same time - non-fic for mornings, fic for evenings. I also love to get into rabbit-holes where non-fic is concerned. At the moment, I'm all about new and old feminisms and how they compare and how they're developing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I alternate fic and non-fic usually. Most of my non-fic reading is history, followed by science or nature. I can get pretty burned out if I binge on non-fic.

With non-fic, it's hard to know who is going to be an exciting new voice because the subjects are specialized. I've read some amazing natural history books by folks who don't ever seem to publish again, and the same for history. Essays, memoirs, and narrative non-fic seems to be easier though, and we've already mentioned several in this thread.

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
Of all the authors currently writing now that I'm reading, the one who has most consistently excited, impressed, and yes, entertained me is Percival Everett. His (hilarious) book "Erasure" was just made into a movie (and a very good one by all accounts).

Leeris

Registered
Reaction score
Of all the authors currently writing now that I'm reading, the one who has most consistently excited, impressed, and yes, entertained me is Percival Everett. His (hilarious) book "Erasure" was just made into a movie (and a very good one by all accounts).
I'm adding him to my list of books to look for next time I'm at the library.