What are you reading?

MJG_Write

WriteTeachSleep
Registered
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Finished Fablehaven, now trying to decide between The Hero and the Crown, or the first book in The Rangers Apprentice series...

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Guernsey a while back and thought it was okay. It held my attention but wasn't overly memorable. Right now I'm struggling with At Home by Bill Bryson. I loved A Walk in the Woods, but this feels like a lot to wade through.

Riyyah

The Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Andromeda Strain. Not the type I'd normally read, but so far I think it's a great book. I like books like this one that I can learn a lot from, rather than just being entertained.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
Ken Folletts "World Without End". Not as good as pillars of the earth.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Guernsey a while back and thought it was okay. It held my attention but wasn't overly memorable. Right now I'm struggling with At Home by Bill Bryson. I loved A Walk in the Woods, but this feels like a lot to wade through.
I'm on page 21 of Guernsey and still not hooked. So far we have a writer character (again - jeez, are their any literary novels that don't have an MC who's a writer?) I hope it gets better.

I loved A Walk in the Woods too. It's not like the bears signed a treaty ...

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
Read a lot lately. In the last three weeks I've gone through 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea, True Grit, Frankenstein, and now I'm almost a quarter through Last of the Mohicans. When my commute isn't four hours anymore my reading pace will slow considerably, but it's been nice to catch up on some classics!

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading (counting listening to audiobooks) Pursuit of Happyness, because I find the story interesting -- what makes some people dare to dream and others not. And I also always like to know what is truth in movies based on real life stories.

And then I'm reading Eat that Frog by Brian Tracy, so I can get more things done! Actually both books in some ways are about continuing to grow my motivation and productivity.

Kennetht04

Registered
Reaction score
As it seems, I've just come accross my uncle's collection of old books. Prior to that I found about 1000 old Marvel's.

Right now I'm reading my uncle's book, The Silmarillion. Well... Not this very second, because I'm typing this. You get me :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Dante, Vita Nuova. He explains the circumstances of how he met Beatrice and how he wrote his poems, with examples.

And then it ends and Beatrice is dead and he's been moping aboout writing emo poems for a while (it choked me up) and then he ends it like this (translation by Barbara Reynolds):

After this sonnet there appeared to me a marvellous vision in which I saw things which made me decide to write no more of this blessed one until I could do so more worthily. And to this end I apply myself as much as I can, as she indeed knows. Thus, if it shall please Him by whom all things live that my life continue for a few years, I hope to compose concerning her what has never been written in rhyme of any woman. And then may it please Him who is the Lord of courtesy that my soul may go to see the glory of my lady, that is of the blessed Beatrice, who now in glory beholds the face of Him qui est per omnia secula benedictus.​

He is, of course, talking of The Divine Comedy.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Slaughterhouse-5 again. I remembered it being my kind of humor, but I'd forgotten how sad it is.