What are you reading?

synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
For summer reading I looked at the Hugo and Nebula award nominees and winners that I hadn't read yet, and picked about six from my library. I never would have read The Yiddish Policeman's Union or Rainbow's End on my own -- I'm not that into alternate history or cyberpunk. But I really enjoyed both of them. I just got this year's Hugo winning books and will begin them shortly.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought the audio versions of Rhys Bowen's "Her Royal Spyness" and "Her Royal Spyness: Royal Pain." Now I'm going to have to buy at least two copies of the print versions for myself and a friend.

If you like dry British humour, they're priceless.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
The Vampire Lestat, Anne Rice

I'm doing research for a vampire novel of my own and figured this would be a good book to keep my mind focused. I did finish "Interview" just last month and Lestat is just so much cooler than whiny Louis in my humble opinion.

synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
The 90-day Novel. So far, I'm very impressed.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Nearly halfway through Dreiser's An American Tragedy. (Put on to that thanks to an AWer here who hated the book; my perverse response was that I just had to read it.) Whew! Alas, the arc is clearly headed toward the disaster implied in the title.
icon9.gif
But it is a hell of a ride getting there.

--Ken

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
Classic Baby Name Book: 2,000 Names from the World's Greatest Literature, by Grace Hamlin (It's always good for a writer to learn new names!)

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party, by Alexander McCall Smith (I always enjoy these!)

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working my way through the Library of America's American Fantastic Tales: 1940-now. Some great stuff in there, and it's really fueling ideas for some of the stories I want to write this year.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What You Have Left, Will Allison. Allison writes beautifully, but I hated every character in this book and really don't like getting jerked back and forth through time. It makes it hard for me to focus.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
My sixth or seventh time reading The Stand by Stephen King... which means I'll be getting a cold soon, because I ALWAYS get a cold when I read The Stand and it ALWAYS freaks me the hell out.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Folded Leaf" by William Maxwell

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Moving out of sequence, I just finished In The Company of Cheerful Ladies and am now reading Tears of the Giraffe, both by Alexander McCall Smith.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
I'll tell you what I'm not reading. I'm not reading Beauvallet, by Georgette Heyer. Eighty pages was enough to show me I'm just not going to be able to read the stilted language.

I really, really like her Regency romances, but this non-Regency one is just not working for me.

FrederickS

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I can't find this thread, is there really no "what are you reading" thread???

I just picked up Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I'm 10 pages in and captivated.

I just finished "the Breach". Now I'm looking for an action thriller...