• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What do you write on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LalaSant712

Call me Lala, all my friends do :)
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering what program you guys use.

I have access to Pages and Word, but I was curious if there was another more accessible program that some of you more seasoned writers know about.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious if there was another more accessible program that some of you more seasoned writers know about.

Since 1989, I've owned and used WordPerfect, the best out-of-the-box writing program evah.

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
Since 1989, I've owned and used WordPerfect, the best out-of-the-box writing program evah.

How accessible is the interface? Could someone learn it easily if they've never used it?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody has to learn how to use whatever program they choose to try.

How accessible is the interface? Could someone learn it easily if they've never used it?

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
Everybody has to learn how to use whatever program they choose to try.

Of course, I was asking if I could learn the ins and outs by using it, rather than having to read up on it. Personally I learn best by exploring programs and don't work well on programs that I have to research lol.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I use openoffice. I used to use Word, until I found out the version shipped with my laptop had a limited-time access. Annoyed with that, I downloaded openoffice... and promptly got annoyed with that too because it was different.

Once I stopped grumping and actually used it, however, I've grown to really like it. Now I'm done mucking about with which features are and aren't on display, it's exactly what I need. I think the best thing you can do is download some free ones and see what you like.

Now I think about it, I don't even know why I wanted a bookmark feature anyway...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, if you're looking for something with a minimal learning curve, the thing to go for is Lined Notepad[SUP]TM[/SUP], with either the Pen[SUP]TM[/SUP], or Pencil[SUP]TM[/SUP], input device. (Eraser[SUP]TM[/SUP], editing feature may cost extra.) No frills, no features, but the interface is simple and many writers still swear by it.

Many writers use Scrivener or WriteWay Pro or such, but they're more to help organize the overall writing process. They're hardly necessary to produce good work.

You can write using anything that will record words. On Windows (at least, through Windows 7), you have WordPad as a free word processor, which is sort of a stripped-down Word. There's also OpenOffice (or LibreOffice), open-source freeware options. But with any computer program you're going to have to learn its quirks. Me, I love Word 2010 for general-purpose writing, but you'll have to drag me over the threshold into the next version kicking and screaming.

Is there a particular reason you're not happy with Pages or Word?

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you're not happy with Pages or Word?

Yes. I am terrible at keeping my story organized. I print out everything frantically and try to keep it all together in my binder.

When I am really desperate I use iBooks Author to put it into a more ideal format. But that generally doesn't work for the editing process.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I write by splaying the innards of neighbourhood cats on vellum in the shape of futhorc runes.

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I write by splaying the innards of neighbourhood cats on vellum in the shape of futhorc runes.

Yeah but don't you find the mess a bit much, especially after a good writing streak?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I still write most of my first drafts longhand, but I'm slowly switching over to the computer because of meeting Arthur Itis, who convinced me it's a good idea.

I have a minimalist word processor that I write most of my short items on. I did use Q10, but it refuses to play nice with the latest version of Word, which is a shame because I love Q!. I'm not trying out JDarkRoom, and I think it's going to work out.

But for anything long, and for all final drafts, I use Word. It's as good as it gets, it's what almost all agents and editors use, and your life will be easier if yu have it.

I don't think you'll find a program worth having that doesn't have a learning curve, or that you won't have to research to some extent. But Word itself is easy to use, easily accessible, and should be no problem. You don't need every bell and whistle Word has, you just need the basic writing tools, and these are readily accessible.

If you just want a minimalist word processor for first drafts, try one of these. https://gigaom.com/2007/06/22/10-free-minimalist-word-processors/

If you want to turn Word into a similar minimalist word processor/text editor, read this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-ms-word-2007-into-a-minimalist-text-editor/

Writers are quirky, and most I know try many programs, and then usually come back to Word, or now and then to Wordperfect, or LibreOffice.

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
I still write most of my first drafts longhand, but I'm slowly switching over to the computer because of meeting Arthur Itis, who convinced me it's a good idea.

I have a minimalist word processor that I write most of my short items on. I did use Q10, but it refuses to play nice with the latest version of Word, which is a shame because I love Q!. I'm not trying out JDarkRoom, and I think it's going to work out.

But for anything long, and for all final drafts, I use Word. It's as good as it gets, it's what almost all agents and editors use, and your life will be easier if yu have it.

I don't think you'll find a program worth having that doesn't have a learning curve, or that you won't have to research to some extent. But Word itself is easy to use, easily accessible, and should be no problem. You don't need every bell and whistle Word has, you just need the basic writing tools, and these are readily accessible.

If you just want a minimalist word processor for first drafts, try one of these. https://gigaom.com/2007/06/22/10-free-minimalist-word-processors/

If you want to turn Word into a similar minimalist word processor/text editor, read this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-ms-word-2007-into-a-minimalist-text-editor/

Writers are quirky, and most I know try many programs, and then usually come back to Word, or now and then to Wordperfect, or LibreOffice.

Thank you

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In 1989, both WordPerfect and MS Word were available in Northern Montana College's writing lab. I taught 101, 102, and 103 writing classes and conducted office hours in the computer lab. It was 25 years ago, but I recall WordPerfect being far more user-friendly for students than MS Word.

Conventional wisdom was WordPerfect was a writer's tool, and MS Word was a business tool. Today, I still write with WordPerfect and only use a seven-year-old version of MS Word for business transmittals.

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
OpenOffice. I would use Word, but that's a subscription-based program and I, along with not being able to justify spending the ungodly amount they ask for, would prefer to stick it to the Man.

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
In 1989, both WordPerfect and MS Word were available in Northern Montana College's writing lab. I taught 101, 102, and 103 writing classes and conducted office hours in the computer lab. It was 25 years ago, but I recall WordPerfect being far more user-friendly for students than MS Word.

Conventional wisdom was WordPerfect was a writer's tool, and MS Word was a business tool. Today, I still write with WordPerfect and only use a seven-year-old version of MS Word for business transmittals.

Thank you. I've never worked with WordPerfect

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I use Scrivener and I love it. It comes with a long free trial so you can see if it works for you, and a lengthy tutorial that makes it easy to learn. I like it for its organizational uses. It makes organizing my scenes very easy. In the past I did everything longhand and then used Word, and while I will never fully be able to break away from longhand (I love the feeling that it gives me, of being connected to my work) I am glad to use Scrivener.

That said -- it's mostly only useful for larger projects like novels. If you are writing something short I'd rather use Word.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I use Scrivener for drafting. Took me a few tries to get into it, but once I did, I loved it. I tend to think in scenes, so having the ability to move 'em around and write out of order but have placeholders where other stuff goes is fabulous. I could never write out of order before, but if I can see the whole novel, then I can jump ahead.

Once it goes off to the agent, though, it's in Word and remains in Word through the editorial process because Word's track changes functionality loathes interacting with any other program.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I started off on WORDSTAR back in the '80s but I've been on WORD for more than 20 years now and never saw any need to change.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I am terrible at keeping my story organized. I print out everything frantically and try to keep it all together in my binder.

You might like Scrivener. I don't use it myself (I write with Word), but I have friends who swear by it, largely because of its organizational features.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Over the years I must have used dozens of word processors. When I was a civil servant nearly 30 years ago, the UK Government toyed with a purpose-built laptop called a Liberator with a built in word processor. That was probably my first long-term relationship with a very basic text editor.

From there to WordStar. From vanilla WordStar to WordStar 2000. From WordStar 2000 to Wordperfect. From Wordperfect to Word. And then through various iterations of Word to Office 2010.

Not to mention a variety of programs at home on an Atari ST, a Sinclair Z88, OpenOffice on the ipad, Notes.

Some things remain constant. Just about any piece of software can be learnt. You will eventually become familiar with one particular program, but that doesn't mean you can't become equally comfortable with another. Or the next version up.

And it generally doesn't matter what arcane features your program has. Just ignore the bits you don't need and focus on the menus and icons that do what you want.

I would guess that I use less than 5% of Word's functionality. Everything else I cheerfully ignore. Mail merge, footnotes, headers - that sort of thing. It's good to know it's there and if I ever do need it I'll look up how to use it. Until then, I'll stick with the features that do what I want.

And that, for me, is Word. It does what I want. It's not difficult to learn. It's the industry standard. It's what my clients use when I put a suit on and do non-writing work.

But if Word fell out of favour and something else came in, then I'd switch to that without a moment's hesitation.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but don't you find the mess a bit much, especially after a good writing streak?

You'd think, but the fact that it's gradually becoming more and more difficult to find said cats means that I rarely write enough in one go to create an insurmountable mess.

LalaSant712

Registered
Reaction score
You'd think, but the fact that it's gradually becoming more and more difficult to find said cats means that I rarely write enough in one go to create an insurmountable mess.

That's so true, eventually they just stop coming by.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Loyal old notepad and pen for most of my work, then I type it up into Microsoft Word. (The edition doesn't particularly matter, unlike Excel there's no big functional difference.) I've also got a simple Excel spreadsheet for tracking my daily wordcount (when drafting) or page count total and % left to do (when rewriting and editing).

Tried using Scrivener for a while, but it's far too distracting for me. Editing in Word is more untidy, but it means I don't get distracted adding in images, adding corkboard notes, custom icons, wordcount goals, and doing all sorts of other pieces of Scrivener fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.