What Program do you write in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried that a couple times. The problem is that instead of having a bunch of formatting marks at the top and bottom of the text, there's an added formatting mark between each character in other word processors.

In other words, what should say, "John walked into the living room," will now say, "J/o/h/n/ /w/a/l/k/e/d/ /i/n/t/o/ /t/h/e/ /l/i/v/i/n/g/ /r/o/o/m/." It's one of those things that just sends me through the roof when I'm trying to figure out what I've written.

Unless I can find a free word processor that opens up Works .wps files, I'm pretty much stuck insofar as opening the documents is concerned.

But at least, like you and ScarletPeaches have said, I can save my documents without opening them, onto more reliable formats such as CD or USB Flash Drive. It sounds to me like I have some shopping to do today.

http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/11/22/wps-files-explained-convert-wps-to-doc-for-free/

That should work.

C.E.Grayson

Registered
Reaction score
I use word 2007, but that's only because we have it at home right now because my wife needs it for her work stuff. I save every chapter in its separate file within a larger novel folder. The one thing you have to watch out for in 2007 is that you don't accidentally save it as a 2007 .docx file. Then you can't use it on older systems, which I do when I'm at school. Keep it in compatibility mode and it's fine.

Also, i backup everything both on an external hard drive, and on my free box.net account. That way even if everything I have melts down in a fire or earthquake, tornado, or meteor strike, my work is not gone.

Speaking of which ... I'm a couple of chapters behind on that. better do it now.

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
This might work:

http://www.zamzar.com/

I just googled "free software download .wps convert" or other such combinations.

Cool! I'll be looking that up momentarily. :) I appreciate the link.

ETA:

I just found another program, this one downloadable and free. It's called Docx2Rtf, and I like what I see. The new version even opens my old .wps formatted stuff and saves it by default to .rtf. I'm pretty happy, because I'm reading stuff I haven't been able to read in a very long time.

Just thought I'd let you all know what was going on with that. The Zamzar thing didn't seem to work at all, so I'm not going to be using that service again.

Anyway, that's what I wanted to mention, and I thought a double-post would be inappropriate, seeing I am the last poster on this thread, so far as I've seen yet. :)

Have a good day, everyone, and I'll talk to you all later. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.