• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write a single thing today. After work I went to the hardware shop to buy paint, ended up next door in the PC shop looking at laptops, and then in the supermarket buying junk to console myself on my lack of progress.

Mmmm.... icecream.....

And by the weekend I should have a new laptop to write on! Yes... soon, my pretty... ssssooon...

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write a single thing today. After work I went to the hardware shop to buy paint, ended up next door in the PC shop looking at laptops, and then in the supermarket buying junk to console myself on my lack of progress.

Mmmm.... icecream.....

And by the weekend I should have a new laptop to write on! Yes... soon, my pretty... ssssooon...

The laptop will make you write, correct? :D

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Good job Lizzy! (My mom calls me Lizzy, my middle name is Elizabeth.)

I'm past the 13k mark on my WIP I've named Lake One. It's been slow going, but little by little it is getting written. Writing slow gives me time to think about how I want the story to go and for my characters to develop in my head, so there's no rush. Still, I wish I would get this done a little faster.

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP I have a character, Katherine, who dances with a traveling troupe of outlaws. Two of the other characters are about to see her dance and its how they reunite. But I can't dance or walk, for that matter. This scene feels diffrent like it has to be right. I mean I can't burn people alive by touching them or appear in the flames, or sword fight, but my brains says you have to get this right.
Shut-up brain!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Should I try to write today or not, that's on my mind.

I was on a roll, but I needed to take a break for the last couple of weeks. Today I woke up feeling better than I have in many days.

If I try to write and I still can't focus, I will feel like poop.

If I try to write and am successful, I'll feel good.

If I try to write and it's poop, I'll feel like poop.

I realize on a writing forum this should be a no brainer, but I'm kind of liking not feeling like poop today.

AlexCadillac

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexcadillac.tumblr.com
I feel I don't have a good enough idea of what my main character will be doing during the middle section of my book. I've got ideas and planned stuff like wars and fights and lovers, but I just don't know how I'll be developing her. And I'm starting in November... At least the book's long enough I may not get to that part before I hit 50k.

AllyKitten

Registered
Reaction score
So I've got the two MCs mostly figured out, now I have to figure out the supporting characters, and the villain doesn't even have a name yet, neither does the "puppet" who usurped the throne for him, so yeah. Back to the drawing board.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Querying my last one, plotting my new one, reading The Anatomy of Story by John Truby, checking my email all the time because I haven't quite got the hang of forgetting about the stuff I've submitted yet.

A Girl In A Dress

... wrote you a story.
Registered
Reaction score
what's on my mind... should I even bother with querying?

the YA market is geared toward contemporary stand-alones right now and I'm writing a fantasy trilogy (the story's been around for over a decade so I'm pretty daggone convinced it's not going anywhere). is it even worth continuing to query when the market isn't going for what I write?

BookerBrin

Registered
Reaction score
How to revise my short story of around 2500 words into a longer short story of 7500.

It didn't work when I tried to make it into a longer work of around novella length.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 2000 words from the end. I need a break before I can get back to it, but I would be very happy to put this guy to bed tonight so I can address the Shiny New Idea that's been giving me such grief.

ETA: It is done! Huzzah! I may have had to grind through a total of 7000 words today, but this novel is no longer going to be hanging over my head.

Last edited:

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Editing. Editing. Learning how to edit. Learning about the parts of a sentence (Seriously, that's the chapter I am on. Nothing but sentences)
Writing is a full time job.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking that maybe I can/should scratch those troublesome 5 chapters and write 1 bright and shiny gem that takes my guys from point A to point B in a single bound. It's making that leap interesting that is holding me up.

or . . .

maybe it's just because I don't know how to do it.

sigh . . .

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I added almost 2000 words to my MS today - not gonna say I wrote 2000, as half of it was lifted from the original draft (I'm rewriting it substantially), so it feels a bit like cheating. But even 1000 is still good progress for me.

And that 1000 was the scene I have been avoiding like the plague for months! It was a triple whammy of being a pivotal plot chapter, a sex scene, and written from the male POV. I feel like I just climbed Everest. Without oxygen. Or climbing gear. :D

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
And that 1000 was the scene I have been avoiding like the plague for months! It was a triple whammy of being a pivotal plot chapter, a sex scene, and written from the male POV. I feel like I just climbed Everest. Without oxygen. Or climbing gear. :D

Congratulations! :)

(Although I can't help but think climbing Everest without oxygen would have to involve zombification of some sort.)

So... my progress:

My plan for nano is becoming more and more in depth and the story is evolving a lot. Currently I only have one stumbling point, which appears to be the logical progression of events in the middle.

Have the plot points, just don't know what order they come in. Ack!

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
ETA: It is done! Huzzah! I may have had to grind through a total of 7000 words today, but this novel is no longer going to be hanging over my head.

Congrats! :hooray:

I'm still poking about with Nano stuff, enjoying that over-confident sensation I get whenever I think I'm "done" with prep work. Haha. That's what dares are for, right?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if NaNo is the right choice when I'm going to experiment with in-depth outlining (NaNo encourages pantsing) or when I'm distracted with about five shiny new non-fics and novels to read. Too much leisure! Good problem to have.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
... and so soon after posting about my stumbling point, it all works out. Ain't life grand?

In other news, I've just discovered a technology my story hinges on is actually more viable than I first believed. I might be unintentionally crossing from science fantasy over to science fiction.

Livilla

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about unreliable narrators and whether I want to use one for my new book.

I like unreliable narrators (done well, of course), so I support that, FWIW. :)

On the other hand, I've recently discovered that my best friend absolutely can't handle them. While she is frighteningly intelligent, deception in fiction is somehow too much for her most of the time. She's a historian by trade, which might or might not have something to do with it.