Where/how to query a previous agent?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This is specific, but I'm wondering. I had a previous agent relationship for one book that didn't sell. I'm working on my query list, and I was planning to submit to him to see if he's interested.

I see that he now uses QM for submissions, though his email (where I used to email him) is still included on the website as well. Do I submit on QM and treat it like any other query and include a line saying, "Hi, you used to represent me?" or is it okay to email him as a previous client and say, "I have a new book and I thought you might be interested?"

I'm leaning toward the latter, but I don't want to burn a bridge by assuming I have any right to email, either. Yes, I recognize that this is a silly thing to be concerned with.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a silly thing to be concerned with at all. That is the extent of my input so hopefully others will be able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: alexp336 and kaitie

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely. email. You have every right, and it also shows that you are aware of the value the relationship had beyond just whether the book sold.

Also - good luck! Let us know how it goes.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thank you guys. I was putting his email in my notes I'm getting ready and saw he does QM now and had a moment of panic.

It'll probably be a couple of weeks, but I'll keep you guys updated. I'm getting very nervous about the whole thing.

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
I also will email if I were you. Good luck!

Reactions: kaitie

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, follow up question. Let's say that I send this to my old agent and he wants to look at it so I send him the full. He has a reputation for having a fast turn-around time, and in the past he always was quick (2-3 weeks), so my plan was just to wait and if he didn't want it, to send to other people.

I was talking about my husband, and he thinks I should just start sending to other people at the same time and just treat it like querying in general. I have a list made up and ready to go. However, I feel really weird sending to other people at the same time. I guess in my mind, I'm asking, "We had a previous agent/client relationship and are you interested in extending that?" which isn't the same as a random query, and it seems disrespectful to me if he were to say, "Yeah, I want this," to then say btw, other people have it and I need to contact them.

Am I reading too much into this? Is it better to wait? Should I ask the agent if he's okay with me submitting it elsewhere? If he still has a quick turnaround, I haven't really lost much waiting, but I also don't want to waste a lot of time if he says no.

Reactions: capricornair

Lime-Yay

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, speaking only from a place of general professional email, not the mind!f*ck query process which I know nothing about:

E-mail him, indicating that you have a new book you are looking to sell. Say you are planning to submit to multiple agents on XXX date, but wanted to give him the chance to take the first look.

Essentially, give him the opportunity you want to give him, but set a deadline so you’re not in awkward waiting land, unsure if or when he might respond, if you should poke him, etc.

If you ever had a phone relationship with him, give him a call first. Basically the same convo but you might get an earlier sense if he is/is not interested. Cure for anxiety, only 5 mins and it’s over.

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
Just weighing in. If I were you, I would wait a bit, out of respect of the previous relationship. Imagine if another agent gives you an offer quickly, it may feel weird to nudge him and say "yeah I just queried you the same time as 20 other people?"

Would it be possible to just be up front and say you would love for him to consider, and respectfully ask about the estimate turnaround time, as you would like to query other agents if he decides to pass? I guess most agents would be understanding with that, but it also depends on your comfort level based on the previous relationship.

Edited to add: @Lime-Yay 's suggestion on giving a date sounds like a good one!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Both of those suggestions make sense, yes. I hate this sort of thing. I'm so worried about making a faux pas because out of ignorance.

SariBelleW

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been in the querying trenches, so my input isn't worth a great deal. But I was wondering if he's your top pick of agent? You must have had a good relationship with him previously to want to query him again. So if your intention is to give him the first shot, I assume that means he's your preferred choice? Because if he's not, maybe another tactic would suit better.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been in the querying trenches, so my input isn't worth a great deal. But I was wondering if he's your top pick of agent? You must have had a good relationship with him previously to want to query him again. So if your intention is to give him the first shot, I assume that means he's your preferred choice? Because if he's not, maybe another tactic would suit better.
He's a good agent and I was happy with working with him the first time around. The book didn't sell, but I don't blame him for that. I had always planned to work with him on the next book, but I ended up not getting another one done until now.

Reactions: SariBelleW