Your historical WIP time & place

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I have two ideas in my brain and I'm trying to decide which one to work on first.

1. Florida during the Revolutionary War. It was actually two colonies at the time and didn't secede from Britain like the rest of the colonies.

2. Is about Hernando de Soto's first translator. He actually came on an earlier trip to Florida with someone else, was captured by Indians and thought to be dead. Ten years later when de Soto came to Florida he was found or rather he found de Soto and said he was a Spaniard and a Christian in Spanish to keep from getting killed. He spent the last 10 years living with the Calusa and I want to write about those 10 years.

meddyK

One word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Querying a novel set in 1830's Northwest Territory and St. Louis.

hannah_92

Registered
Reaction score
Set in England during King Richard's reign (1189 - 1899) while he was in the Holy Land. I'm stil very much in the planning stage but I hope to begin writing soon.

Gabriele Campbell

Tribune of the Lost Fort
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
I've posted back on page 2 or so, but things have changed a wee bit.

I'm still working on A Land Unconquered, the novel about the Varus battle. Last year we saw the 2000 year anniversary of that, and in its wake some metres worth of new non fiction books have been published, so I'm doing more research. I've also visited several exhibitions and historical sites. The story has grown tentacles on me and will turn into a BIG book. It will include Germanicus' campaigns as well, so it covers the years from 8-16 AD.

In planning (with only some scenes written) is a sequel, Eagle of the Sea, that takes place during the reign of Domitian and will culminate in the battle of Mons Graupius. It's connected with ALU by an ongoing family feud and some other motives. There will probably be a third book taking place during Hadrian's time as well.

Another NiP I'm working on is my Big Epic Mess, Kings and Rebels, an alternate historical Fantasy that is busy turning series on me and has grown more subplots and plot threads than Cthulhu has tentacles. But it's fun, in a slightly masochistic way. :)

Plus I'm back at university, getting yet another useless degree. ;)

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I've just finally managed to pin the time down, so here goes.

Egypt, approximately 1170-1152 BCE.
It's my first attempt at a historical, but it's a period I've been obsessed with for years, so I'm hopeful.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Since I've come so far on my Finger Lakes WIP (yay! Almost ready to query!), I've gone in a southerly direction.

The next one dominating my attention these days is in 1930s Central Texas. Sort of a Diane Downs transplanted to that era and area. And the more the authorities dig, the worse it gets.

Big Wolf

New to AW, pro writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writtenword.ca
WIP: American West post Civil War (a Dances with Wolves sort of thingy) 1860's - 80's

WIP: France 1600's (King Louis XVI ?, can't be sure of the XVI offhand.) A bio-dramatization.

Mid-1600s would be Louis XIV - the fourteenth, not the sixteenth. Louis XVI died in 1793, beheaded by the Revolution.

Just tryin' to help.

Big Wolf

New to AW, pro writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writtenword.ca
Love the Dark Ages

The Dark Ages - around 923A.D. - Devon England

This sounds very interesting, as I am working on a story set in the Dark Ages, too, but mine is in eastern Europe, north of the Eastern Roman Empire.

By the way, 923 would be after what I have always understood were the definition of the Dark Ages, which were by popular convention to have started at the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 456 or something and ended with Charlemagne's crowing as the new Emperor in 800, Christmas Day.

But you may have a different interpretation.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm toying with the antebellum South, Georgia to be specific. I picked up a wonderful book written by Fanny Kemble, an English actress who married into a slave family and ended up spending a winter on her husband's plantation on the Georgia coast. She hated pretty much every minute of it. She was very shrewd, though, and picked out just about every inconsistency in the Southern logic.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting a good editing pass through A Path to War (set during the opening of the American Revolution). I'm hoping one sequel can finish the entire tale, but it might end up a trilogy. I'm also planning a historical set during the War of 1812, the tale of the son of A Path to War's protagonist. It's my hope to follow this family up through the wars in US history. But, I'm also plotting a stone age novel.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Just started something new: 1905, United States and Asia. Also working an alternate history/horror 1798-1814. 9th century Venice with reloaded query.

MelissaAnne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissamarsh.net
Hello all.

New here and excited to jump into the discussions.

I write fiction set during World War II, mostly on the American Homefront. I'm working on my fourth novel right now. Nothing published yet, but hopeful!

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Late 17th century Ireland and Algeria. One chapter is set in London and two important characters have their back story in Spain.