Your historical WIP time & place

Autumn Leaves

Registered
Reaction score
I’m so glad you wrote this. When I wrote it how I did I knew I should have double checked where to say the famine happened. I knew I didn’t have it quite right, but I failed to look it up. I am referring to the famine from Stalin’s politics. I am glad to hear a term like Holodomer. Right now all I know is how bad it was. Obviously, I will need to do extensive research before I can start to write. I’m glad to know someone like you is here who I can check in with.
No problem, I’ll be happy to help where I can :) Yes, the famine you are referring to took place in 1932-1933 and affected the southern regions of the USSR (the Volga, parts of Caucasus and Siberia, modern-day Ukraine and Kazakhstan).

Reactions: llyralen

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
Set in London around December 1989 at first before then jumping to 1999

Although it's an urban fantasy WIP where you have vampire nightclubs and goblin rock bands.

K Dough

Registered
Reaction score
Set in London around December 1989 at first before then jumping to 1999

Although it's an urban fantasy WIP where you have vampire nightclubs and goblin rock bands.
Nice!

I, too, am doing the vampire nightclub (well... bar), in "modern day" of 1995-1998 (though my hope is to make the fantasy part as non-existent as possible so it will still just be contemporary fiction).

I almost didn't post here, but thought 1998 counts (barely...). My first draft is written from a 2020 lens, but 1995-1998 was different with technology (big turning point for tech in the 90s), and I've had to edit quite a lot of little things to adjust the differences in my second draft.

So yeah, I am considering it "historical", lol. Not big changes like a lot here, though. Just small.

John Berkowitz

I was sent here to study you people.
Registered
Reaction score
The book I am querying takes place mostly in Northern Ireland in 1508, before the Tudor conquest. But with faeries. Otherwise, it is as historically accurate as I could make it.

Reactions: CWatts and Tocotin

jhe1valu

"Interstellar Master of Sparks"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
joehopkinsbook.com
My current WIP, "HOP" is set primarily in Ripley and Memphis, Tennessee in the mid 20th century - 1935-1982.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few alt-history stories in various stages, set in the nineteenth century. One is going to come out in Interzone #295 any month now. Setting is mostly England, with glances at San Francisco and uninhabited parts of Florida.

A related story, including the same cast of characters, takes place in Ireland and England (above the Wash). I had to study working-class speech patterns in the Yorkshire of that period. This story remains out on sub.

A final WIP story, finally responding to the actual prompt, has settings in France and Germany, as well as England.

KNORear

Registered
Reaction score
I just started a WIP set during WWII(I hope to bring back the historical epic, so it will cover the whole war and take place in many locations throughout America and possibly England)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just started a WIP set during WWII(I hope to bring back the historical epic, so it will cover the whole war and take place in many locations throughout America and possibly England)
I set some of my last novel in WWII, in Malaya during tarikh orang putih lari (the time the white men ran) and the Fall of Singapore. There are incredible stories out there.

MountainLark

Seeking a song, finding a voice
Registered
Reaction score
Moscow, Russia
1996, 1995, 1991, 1996, 1995, 1996, 1999

Yes, it jumps around.

*pops in several months later*

Just out of curiosity, how did that piece go? Or is it still ongoing?

I'm currently working on a novel mostly set in the same time period as yours, as well as a short story (possibly a proto-novel?) based out of Moscow and its environs in 1895.

--ML

Reactions: kickashstory

BustedPrinter

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a western novel from 1861 which was pretty easy to do here in the USA anyway. There is so much information about the civil war that even though mine was nothing about that, there was a ton of information about food and housing and such that it was pretty easy to do.

I have another novel of 1771 and it has been MUCH tougher to do. I still have not fully given up on it, but it is a challenge!

Reactions: CWatts and Lakey

kickashstory

Registered
Reaction score
Salem Witch Trials (New England, 1692 + a few scenes from earlier years that set the stage). I'm adding in some magical/fantastical elements while keeping to the actual events as historians generally understand them. The research portion has been exciting and fun!

Reactions: Woollybear