Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Goja

Fanfix

Och, weel, as us kilt-wearing folk say...

Seeing as how I was responisble for bringing the subject up in the first place, maybe I should try to end it by getting on with something else entirely:

I have really enjoyed your illustrations (as I choose to think of them) of DIY romance writing, Jim - the chess game, model, ship, etc - but I would really like to see you DO it. I mean, say you have to write a fantasy short story and it's due tomorrow; how do you go about it?

Spin a yarn for us, Uncle Jim...! Pleease...!! *making bambi eyes*

James D Macdonald

Re: Fanfix

You aren't asking for much, are you, Chris?

Okay, open with a noble knight riding along the way. He's got a prancing white horse, a noble gleam in his eye, a hawk on his wrist.

There he goes. Whizz! A crossbow bolt comes out of the underbrush. Hits him in the jaw, he's down, he's out.

The gent with the crossbow comes out of the brush, walks up to the noble knight's body, takes the money purse from the knight's belt. Opens it, takes out three silver pence. Says "Next time, pay your gambling debts."

Leaves the rest of the money, all the rich trappings.

Next, the knight's sword gets picked up by a peasant. He has no use for a sword, but he has a need for a new coulter for his plow. Blacksmith puts it on the plow.

The knight isn't dead, but he's hurt bad. He recovers, but never again is able to speak nor eat solid foods.

The three pieces of silver are melted to make nails to hold together a small wooden chest.

The bread made with the grain grown from the field plowed with that sword has mystic properties.

The knight becomes a monk, goes begging. He's got religion. He can hardly talk, but he can preach.

The monk eats some of the bread, and is cured. He cuts out his own heart, and puts it in the wooden box. He carries it with him.

The kingdom which the knight is no longer protecting is under siege by the Powers of Darkness. (That is, it's so dark that wheat won't grow. Bad weather, bad crops. Only the one enchanted field is still producing.)

The monk determines to find the source of the bad weather-luck. He goes into the wilderness. There he finds an old woman who is starving. He offers her his heart which is in the box. She eats it, and becomes a) strong, b) well, and c) the guy with the crossbow back from the first page.

The monk is now healed, has his heart back, and is able to talk. He returns to where he was heading back on page one, where he becomes the rightful king. The bad weather is over. The enchanted field is never seen again. There is much rejoicing.

The end.

<hr>

That's a short story. That's a lime pie. For a novel, then's the ship and the chessgame and the house and knot.

<hr>

So, death and rebirth, journey, power of threes, king's health linked to the land's health, and the sacrament of the Eucharist, all rolled together. After this it's just typing.

SFEley

Knight's Journey

I want to know what happened to the hawk on his wrist.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

James D Macdonald

Re: Knight's Journey

I want to know what happened to the hawk on his wrist.

Who did you think was telling the story?

Chris Goja

Blimey.

Full points for fulfilling weird requests, certainly... *big smile*

Is this a story you would consider writing? What I mean to say is: having composed the recipe for your pie, do you have enough faith in the general munchability of the hypothetical end product to actually start mixing it, or do you continue adjusting the recipe (the ingredients, amounts etc) before trying to bake one?

When you've answered that I will ask you to write a novel. Kidding.

Joanclr

Uncle Jim, you mentioned the "power of threes" in your story footnote. Might I ask what that is?

James D Macdonald

Outline

Tell ya what, Chris -- now you can go out and buy some of my short stories. And buy some of my novels, too.

(You want to see me write a novel? I'm doin' it every day. Check your bookstores.)

This is quite enough to start <strike>baking the pie</strike> writing. When you get to The End, revision and rewrite, make it all smooth.

Once it's done as well as you can make it, send it out to markets likely to buy it. For cash.

That idea looks like about a 7,500 word idea.

<hr>

The power of threes:

In Western society, Three is a very powerful number. Look at all the things that come in threes. Ready, set, go. Three is the number of perfection. Three rings for the elven kings. The Trinity. The two wicked stepsisters plus Cinderella. Three wishes. Christmas Past, Christmas Present, Christmas Yet-To-Come. The Fates. The Wyrd Sisters.

Pretty much everything that doesn't come in threes comes in sevens. (Or nines, which is three threes. Or forties -- which means A Whole Bunch.)

These things are embedded deeply in our culture. If you use them, your reader won't know why, but your reader will think that this is right.

Hannibal

Jeah

Uncle Jim your're absolutly fabules :) Sucking a short story like this from your little toe. When i was roleplaying back there when i was a kid i found out storys slike this many times just right then whn we started. :) Ohh and you haven't answerd my question...Am i too young to be a writer whit 23 years ?

Thx !

"The life is a bad game, but whit a mighty fine grafic!!"

James D Macdonald

Re: Jeah

Hannibal:

Too young to be a writer at 23?

I started when I was twelve.

I sold when I was 35.

Everyone's path is different.

If you are sitting in your chair, making your fingers move on your keyboard, putting words on paper you are a writer.

What defines a writer is writing. Go. Write.

<hR>

Chris: Your assignment is to take that very bare-bones outline and make it into a 7,500 word story by the end of the week. I grant you all rights.

You must write all the way to THE END. (If it turns out different from that outline that's okay!)

Lay it aside for a week.

Read it aloud.

Rewrite it for a week.

Send it to trusted friends for a week.

Revise it for a week.

Send it out (to paying markets only) until Hell won't have it.

That's your penance for making Bambi-eyes.

Chris Goja

Books

I will, Jim.

Is there any particular one that you are especially proud of, that you would want me to read above all others? I'm sure stories are like kids in that you love them all, because they're yours, but still...?

Oh, and since we're on that subject: On the odd chance that there are any readers out there interested in viking sagas AND read Swedish, here's the link to my magnum opus:

www.books-on-demand.com/s...asp?id=440

You never know....

Chris Goja

Homework

Just to clarify, the last "I will" was a promise to buy something you've written.

Now, if I take my punishment and write this, will you read it and help me with it? I'll swear never to make bambi eyes again......

James D Macdonald

Re: Books

I have to go write another chapter in a fantasy novel set in the America Civil War, but before I go....

If you want one in Swedish, <a href="http://www.bokus.com/cgi-bin/more_book_info.cgi?pt=childrens-fictionchildren&ISBN=9132143346" target="_new">Främlingens Önskan</a>. I liked that one best of the entire series, though I liked the series quite a bit. That's the series that was based very formally on a six-pointed Celtic knot.

It's a short -- middle grades -- novel.

Here's another novel y'all might like: <a href="http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/ad_excerpt.htm" target="_new">The Apocalypse Door</a>.

You can find a short story I like very much here: <a href="http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/new_skies.htm" target="_new">Uncle Joshua and the Grooglemen</a>.

Buy one! Better still, buy a dozen! They make excellent gifts!

Here, for free, a complete story: <a href="http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/NEWYORK.HTM" target="_new">The Last Real New Yorker in the World</a>. It should be pretty obvious to you why it'll never be reprinted.

<hr>

Want to see our Very First Short Story? It's in this book. That was the first story we submitted, and the story sold to the first place we sent it to. (Okay, everyone, you can turn <span style="color:lime;">green</span> with envy now.)

Want to see the first story I wrote after the Long Dry Period (between when I was 19 and when I was 30) when I wrote no fiction? It eventually got published here. The story is "The Little Prune that Couldn't Talk."

It too sold to the first place I sent it ... it's just that I waited nearly twenty years to submit it.

Chris Goja

Beginnings...

It's well after midnight here, so my oil's all burnt. Here's the first chapter/scene of my assignment, for what it's worth. As you can see I've altered the outline already. Oh, and I have ordered one of your books. Do feel free to comment:

The man was sitting in front of a camp fire, the glow of the flames playing over his leathery face and hands, as well as the blade that he was sharpening. His hand moved slowly, methodically as he ran the stone up first one side of the sword, then the other. Nothing could be heard apart from the crackle of the fire and the swishing noise produced by pumice on steel. Outside of the circle of light that the flames cast, there was only dark, silent forest for miles and miles.

It was a good blade, and it had served him well in more battles and skirmishes than he cared to remember. When he was done honing both edges, he tried it with a calloused thumb, making sure that it was as sharp as he wanted. Others might make do with inferior weapons, but they were the tools of his trade, and it didn’t do to get sloppy. Of course, things might have been very different if the gods had wanted it, but that didn’t do to think too much about. If there was one thing Regan had had to learn, then that was it.

He stood and looked along the edge, satisfied that there were no notches. Then he sheathed it in the plain scabbard that hung from a low branch. Regan grimaced a little. There were some specks of rust on the inside of the metal opening at the top, and that was no good. More than once had he seen fighters get cut down because their weapons had stuck when they tried to draw them, and he had no intention of joining their ranks. But some sheep fat would soon take care of that.

He was feeling jittery, which was unusual for Regan. You didn’t survive long in his business if you couldn’t keep your nerves in check, and he had worked as a freelance for years now, taking his money from whoever was willing to pay for his services. Regan’s horse, tethered near a couple of bushes, obviously felt it to, its proud head moving nervously back and forth. There was probably a storm coming, he thought. Clouds were gathering, bulbous and dark even in the night. That’s all it was, he told himself. Just mother nature, even though she could be a real mother from time to time, he added silently. He forced a smile, trying to shake the omnious feeling he had.

Ever since he had had to leave that last town he had had felt as if he weren’t alone, as if he was being followed, but that was nonsense. No one could track him without him noticing, he knew, and yet… Oh, well. Best to get tucked in for the night. It’d be a long day tomorrow as well. Regan walked over to the stallion, talking quietly all the while to calm it down, but the animal could sense his owner’s uneasiness and snorted and danced. regan would just have to leave it alone and get the rest of his chores done. The saddle and his armour were already taken care of, piled against a huge tree. All that was left for him was make sure there was enough firewood to last until morning. He ventured to the edge of the circle of light where he had seen a couple of good, dry fallen branches earlier on, when all of a sudden he froze. There was definitely something wrong!

Regan turned around to get his sword, cursing under his breath for not having it closer to hand, and looked up to see a man in studded leather armour standing across the clearing, brandishing a cocked crossbow, aimed straight at his face.

“Regan of Doonsbury, I presume? Such an honour to meet you. I’m a great admirer of yours.”

“Bloody strange way of showing it!” Regan spat. There was nothing he could do. The distance between them was too great to cover, and besides, the fire was right in the middle of his way, preventing a full-on attack. He had to play for time. “Who are you and what do you want?”

“Tut, tut.” The other man was smiling, obviously enjoying himself. “Sir Ganvorn didn’t appreciate you leaving without saying goodbye. And you have something that belongs to him, don’t you?” Both men glanced over to where the saddle bags were lying, clearly visible underneath the chain mail that was draped over them.

“What’s it to you?”

“Oh, nothing, nothing. Only we’re in the same business, you and I. He’s got a contract out on you. Must really want that little souvenir you took, I guess,” the assailant shrugged. The crossbow didn’t so much as waver from its target.

Regan said nothing. This was worse than he had thought. The man was obviously a professional. The mere fact that he had managed to trace Regan unnoticed was unnerving enough, but if he was as good with his weapon as Regan suspected, then he was really in trouble.

“Surely we can make a deal?” he said, trying to sound confident. “Whatever Ganvorn’s offered you I’m sure I can match it.” Regan moved cautiously forward, taking care to show his outstretched hands.

“That’s close enough,” the attacker said, tensing a little, but not backing away. Good, Regan thought. Confidence can be a wonderful thing, but it can also get you dead.

“Well, I can’t show you my appreciation unless you let me take out my purse, and unless I show you where it is, there’s no way you’re ever going to find it. I hid it in amongst the trees, see?”

“Nice try, Regan, but we both know you’re bluffing.”

“Am I? It’s just over there,” Regan said, pointing to an imaginary spot slightly behind his attacker. It was a move borne in desperation, but it was all Regan had got. As the unknown attacker’s eyes glanced in the direction Regan had indicated for the briefest of moments, Regan kicked the burning logs and dove for cover. The other man cursed and hopped backwards to avoid the logs, but didn’t shoot as Regan had hoped. A true professional, indeed, Regan thought, rolling and coming up next to the tree where his sword was hanging. He grabbed the hilt, familiar and comforting, just as the price hunter regained his balance, but he was faster, and smiled triumphantly as he yanked to get it out of its scabbard.

Nothing happened.

The blasted thing was stuck! Rust, was all Regan had a chance to think before the stranger took aim and shot. The bolt buzzed like an angry insect and hit Regan in the eye. The last thing he was aware of was a blinding flash of pain as the world spun around him, and then there was darkness.

------------------------------------------------------------
G'night y'all!

James D Macdonald

Re: Beginnings...

a) Perhaps more appropriate in one of the "Share Your Work" groups.

b) We won't revise until after you've gotten to THE END.

c) Keep going.

qatz

you're pretty good, chris.

keep with this. let's see where it goes. but don't post it all on AW. not now, at least. if jim decides to use it, that's another story. i assume you're still crackin' on it.

signed,

Mostly Unswayed by Doe Eyes

Hannibal

It's too late to be on foot

Well i wrote 12 pages today. I finaly understud what an outline is :) And it will help me much. Uncle Jim. Your calling to be a writer inspires me. When i will sell (and damn i will sell :) ) a book i surly will thank you in it like, special thx to Uncle Jim :))))))) Good night folks :):thumbs

maestrowork

Re: Beginnings...

Good work! Keep writing. That's way to do it. You're ahead of a lot of us already.

p.s. the power of # is a powerful one. In the western world it's the numbers 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. In eastern culture it's usually 4, 8, etc. (Joy Luck Club is filled with "4" -- four families, four mothers, four daughters, mahjogg has 4 players, 2 sisters, etc.) The number 1 and 2 are important in all cultures.

I just realized my novel is filled with 3's. I didn't do it consciously, but it's there. It's a fun observation.

Hannibal

To all of ya

Have any of you ever written more then 10-20 pages that were perfect and don't needed to be overwritten?

Or have you too the problem that you write something and when you read it throu you think, Holy sh*t did i just wrote this crap ????

James D Macdonald

Re: To all of ya

It all turns to crap between first writing and reading. That's why you put the work in your desk drawer for a month after you've written it, to let it age and let all the crap drain off.

James D Macdonald

Just posted in another thread

First posted here.

And recopied here.

<hr>

From today's news:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

She's a bestselling author -- at 15
Flavia Bujor's European hit now in America

Thursday, April 22, 2004 Posted: 11:37 AM EDT (1537 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- After a few years of starting stories that never got finished, Flavia Bujor decided it was time she completed something.

So at the age of 12, she decided to write a novel. She was 14 when the book was published.

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/04/22/teen.author.ap/index.html" target="_new">CNN</a>

This is relevant in that a) publishing at an early age isn't impossible, but b) it's so rare that it's newsworthy when it happens.

So don't worry.

A couple of aphorisms:

Plot will get you through times with no style better than style will get you through times with no plot.

This comes from one of the smartest editors I know:

Plot is a literary convention. Story is a force of nature.

<hr>

Literary tastes change.

Here are the best-sellers of the 1860s:

1860 Edward S. Ellis, Seth Jones
1860 Miriam Coles Harris, Rutledge
1860 Ann Stephens, Malaeska
1863 E.D.E.N. Southworth, The Fatal Marriage
1863 A.D.T. Whitney, Faith Gartney's Girlhood
1864 E.D.E.N. Southworth, Ishmael
1864 E.D.E.N. Southworth, Self-Raised
1865 Mary Mapes Dodge, Hans Brinker and His Silver Skates
1867 Horatio Alger, Ragged Dick
1867 Augusta Evans, St. Elmo
1868 Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Okay, of those you've seen a movie version of Hans Brinker, you've heard of a "Horatio Alger story" (without ever having read one), and you've read Little Women, right?

Look at the list from a hundred years ago:

1900 Mary Johnston, To Have and To Hold
1901 Winston Churchill, The Crisis
1902 Owen Wister, The Virginian
1903 Mrs. Humphry Ward, Lady Rose's Daughter
1904 Winston Churchill, The Crossing
1905 Mrs. Humphry Ward, The Marriage of William Ashe
1906 Winston Churchill, Coniston
1907 Frances Little, The Lady of the Decoration
1908 Winston Churchill, Mr. Crewe's Career
1909 Anonymous [Basil King], The Inner Shrine

Of those, you've seen the movie version of The Virginian and know one line from it ("When you call me that, smile"), and you've never heard of any of the other books or authors, right? (This Winston Churchill wrote historical romances set during the American Civil War and shouldn't be confused with Sir Winston Churchill, the British prime minister during WWII.)

Literary fame is fleeting; times change, tastes change, and the natural state of a book is Out Of Print.

James D Macdonald

Best Seller Lists

Here ya go, guys: <a href="http://www.caderbooks.com/bestintro.html" target="_new">Bestseller lists</a>, 1900-1995.

How many of those books do you recognize? How many have you read? How many are still in print?

You know what might be an interesting exercise? Find and read one book from each year's bestseller list. Shouldn't take you over a year to do it, and it'll prove an education.

Status
Not open for further replies.