What Program do you write in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerkellerh

Just curious, what program do you all use for typing your manuscripts? Why do you use that program?

Do you keep the entire book in one file, or do you break it up by parts or chapters as separate files.

Thanks,

Keller

maestrowork

Office XP -- I've used Office for a couple of years. Beside I got free software (through work).

I keep the entire book in one file, but I also have backups and different versions.

ElonnaT

I use Word for the manuscript and Excel for notes, etc. Three cheers for free software from work maestro ;)

I also keep the everything in one file, but have several copies and versions

Yeshanu

I use MS Works, because that's what my computer came with and it works fine for me. I have folders for each novel, and for poetry, fiction, non-fiction, sermons, etc. Within each folder I may have more folders (for example, the novel I'm currently revising has folders for first draft, second draft, third draft, character sketches, odd scenes that aren't part of any draft as yet, notes to myself, etc.) Each of those folders has files for each chapter, or character, or scene as the case may be...

Pthom

Word 97 here . . . old, but plenty enough bells and whistles for me. Excel, too. Keep each project in its own folder, but I prefer each chapter in its own file. Each version has its own subfolder. Additional folders for notes, drawings, etc.

Jamesaritchie

program

I think I've owned every word processor ever programmed at one time or another. I still Have Word XP, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, 602Pro, Yeah, Write!, Atlantis, plus three or four freeware programs on my computer. Just for variety, I may write a first draft on any one of them. But when final draft time rolls around it's Word XP all the way. It has the best editing/rewriting features and cuts down the time it takes me to do a final draft and polish by forty to fifty hours.

I keep novel as whole files, and as chapter by chapter files. Both have many advantages and uses. There are times when filing the entire novel as a single file is very useful, partularly for word or phrase searches, and for e-mailing, and times when chapter by chapter is needed for ease in editing, printing, and disk submissions to some publishers.

Pthom

Re: program

There are times when filing the entire novel as a single file is very useful, partularly for word or phrase searches, and for e-mailing, and times when chapter by chapter is needed for ease in editing, printing, and disk submissions to some publishers.
Yes, and with most modern word processors, it's a simple matter to join them all together when needed.

evanaharris

Microsoft Word, 2000. It's the one i'm most familiar with.

spooknov

MS Word 97. It's probably a dinosaur system, but it works fine for me and seems to adapt easily when e-mailed as an attatchment. I have files for new ideas, WIP's, poetry, short works, and my current novel.

mammamaia

nada but ms word 2002... you couldn't pay me to use anything else for straight writing... i use final draft 6 for screenplays and same goes there...

both are compatible with the most agents/publishers/prodcos in their respective worlds, conversion to rtf takes care of any others, so it makes no sense to me to use anything else...

Jules Hall

Search function

OpenOffice.

I like the fact that it stores its files in a simple format that I could write a program to transform to any other format I wanted, and that it can store multiple 'old versions' of the document in the same file, for comparisions, etc. I also find its move paragraph up/down (ctrl + up/down arrow) feature handy while outlining.

I use a single file per 'part' -- usually about 30-40k words.

I also have a spreadsheet that I keep track of my daily word count in.

aka eraser

Re: Search function

Wow, you guys are amazing, and a bit scary; at least to a disorganized techno-dweeb.

I use WordPerfect 2000. I open it, write, save, and close it. I was SO darn proud when I learned how to make folders to store stuff in.

That was two weeks ago. But then again, I've only had this computer for 4 1/2 years.

Baby steps....

btinternet

Storing documents

I use Word these days, whichever version happens to be on whichever system I'm using. The key for me is to keep everything together - otherwise I spend valuable writing time finding the bit I'm working on.... I keep each WIP in a separate folder, with a file for each chapter and all my notes files (Excel and/or Word) in a subfolder. I can combine them or not as needed for submission/final printing, etc.

And of course, I keep backups!! Lots of backups!!

I also keep a document open whenever I'm working for little ideas or thoughts that occur to me that are unrelated to the current work, or for things I cut out of the current work but which I like and might want to use elsewhere....

BT

alphabeter

Re: Storing documents

I use WordPad mostly because I can send the .rtfs to my Macs and back without having to change anything or get weird characters. The letters, not the peoples! :wha

When I get it all purtied up and/or want to run some additional things on it, I use Word 2000 as part of Office. I'm not fond of Micro :money oft, but I have downloaded and continue to use a lot of free and wonderful add-ins that make things very loverly when polishing.

As far as chapters and such, it depends on what type of WIP it is. I separate novels and books by chapters, screenplays by scenes and sometimes key character points, and poems by theme. I leave short stories, novellas between 5k and 15k, and single one-off articles (series are arranged as needed) 'whole'.

Alpha

Fresie

Eh, can I ask a related question, please?

Although I hate spreadsheets, I do use them occasionally, therefore my question: do you guys know of a way to cut off the length of the sheet in Word Excel? I've figured out how to cut off the extra columns, so the page is of reasonable width, but I can't cut off the extra rows, and they go down into eternity, well into 20,000s and more. The fact that I've got Dutch Windows in my comp (and I don't read Dutch, therefore can't read menus) doesn't help, either. :bang Still, if you guys know this trick and explain it to me in English, I'll work out how to do it in Dutch.

Thanks a lot!

Fresie

veingloree

The colums with no content don't print so I normally just leave them.

As for the previous, Word 2000 -- one file.

SFEley

Fresie wrote:
Although I hate spreadsheets, I do use them occasionally, therefore my question: do you guys know of a way to cut off the length of the sheet in Word Excel?
Sure -- don't put so much data in it. Excel only prints up to the last non-blank row. If you want to print fewer rows, you need to have fewer rows in your spreadsheet. (Or hide the ones you don't want to show, by selecting the rows, right-clicking, and choosing "Hide.")

You can also specify in "File | Page Setup" that your printout should be X pages wide by Y pages tall. However, if you've still got tens of thousands of rows, all that'll do is shrink it so much it'll be unreadable.

On the original question, about what I write in: I use a text editor called Emacs. I hate word processors for general writing.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

Gala

Word 2003. I like the comments feature. Also, since I'm a Microsoft Alumni, I get it Real Cheap.

My computer came with WordPerfect 10, and I gave it a few whirls. I found the spell checker interface awkward, so stuck with Word.

I maintain one file for a manuscript. I insert page breaks between chapters. When printing a section, I either print page ranges, or copy/paste to a new temporary doc for printing of that section.

I keep notes, character info, pertinent data in separate files, and also track what I've got in a spread. Also, I've found assessing how long it takes me to write given sections useful.

Jamesaritchie

word processor

While I wouldn't dream of using anything except word for final drafts, one nice thing about WordPerfect is that it has a grammar checker that actually comes close to working. It's far superior to the grammar check program in Word.

Gala

Re: word processor

I was not aware of that, James. Gotta try it. Yeah, Word's grammar check is lousy. Thanks for the tip.

Pthom

Re: grammar checker

I agree that Word's grammar checker is awful. I agree with it maybe 5% of the time.

In the past, I did quite a bit of page layout work and for that, bought Corel's Ventura Publisher. Its grammar checker, Gramatik, isn't too bad, although can be somewhat pedantic and isn't as easy to use as Word's is.

Most of the time, though, I just open my copy of Strunk & White. And, there is no substitute for reading your work and then rereading it over again, making no assumptions that the arrangement of words on the page is correct.
;)

Oklahoma Wolf

I'm a die hard Wordperfect nut... I use Word at work sometimes too, but I just like Corel's program better for some reason. I don't use the grammar checker - it annoys me to no end. Maybe I should use it lol.

I keep all my work as one file backed up to two different computers, and then burn it to cd every so often as well. A little paranoid maybe, but I don't like taking chances with my life's work, and both of my computers have given me plenty reason to be worried in the past ;)

pianoman5

Word 97 does the trick for me, with (American obsessed) Spelling and Grammar (eccentric at best) turned off.

One little wrinkle I use that eases my paranoia about losing everything in the event of a fire at home is e-mailing a copy of everything to myself, as attachments, and then never opening the messages.

That way, it remains stored offsite on my ISP's servers, so it's like having a free bank vault. And it also means that I can access it from anywhere I can get an Internet connection.

Jules Hall

Search function

Ah yes... the other thing I like about openoffice: document-dependent custom dictionaries for the spell checker. So you can put all your characters' weird names in the spell checker, but it won't start ignoring them for your other projects :)

Status
Not open for further replies.