How do you make a sport that doesn't exist?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I will say, so far hating humans isn't a bad idea. What the story is for them is they were sort of a medieval kingdom, and they got invaded by a technologically superior fascist nation, that subjected them and forced them to pay heavy taxes and have a puppet government (think of japans invasion of Manchuria back in the 1930's), so it's natural they might. No idea how to integrate that, however.

Maybe there was a "sport" predating the invasion where humans were hunted (tormented cat-and-mouse style, or bullfighting style), which started as simply chasing down prey or eliminating pests and became a highly competitive sport with points for style, speed, hits, etc. Either they became more "civilized" and replaced it with an animal or inanimate object or they were forced to change it during the occupation, so the sport has become more symbolic than outright violent... but between themselves they know exactly what the "ball" or "target" really represents. (Maybe look at some of the nonlethal variants of bullfighting, which are about acrobatics or snatching a rosette or something from the animal, as a way a bloodsport could transform into something less bloody.)

Do be aware that, unless this has a direct bearing on the characters or story, working out all the intricacies and details of an entirely fictional sport can very easily become procrastination and another way to put off actually writing the story itself... It's also something where maybe details can be hammered out in second or third (or more) drafts, with just some vague allusions to "sport" and "goal" and "players" and such made as space-fillers in the first draft.

Though for a book that gets deep in the weeds of a fictional dragon-involved sport, you might take a look at Blazewrath Games by Amporo Oritz, though the dragons in it are companions of humans (for the most part...).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I will say, so far hating humans isn't a bad idea. What the story is for them is they were sort of a medieval kingdom, and they got invaded by a technologically superior fascist nation, that subjected them and forced them to pay heavy taxes and have a puppet government (think of japans invasion of Manchuria back in the 1930's), so it's natural they might. No idea how to integrate that, however.
If humans are in charge, and make up the puppet government, yeah, I can see them as the enemy. I just don't think it can be out in the open, for fear of reprisal.

Unless there's a modified, gentler version: maybe an obstacle course, or some kind of 'Survivor' or 'Amazing Race' (TV game series)
that human and dragon teams compete in, both sides wanting to show up the other, and relatively non-violent.
BUT, there's an underground 'Fight Club' culture, where dragons fight among themselves, and it's all-out and violent, sort of a 'we are warriors' mentality.
Sometimes humans want to try that competition, maybe the more fascist of the humans, wanting to show that anything a dragon can do, they can do better? Or maybe just real sports junkies?
Or, maybe it catches on with dragons, "Look at puny humans, ha-ha-ha!"
But there aren't enough volunteers, so the dragons kidnap humans and force them to compete, on pain of death. And, yeah, some humans consider the odds and choose death> But, every now and then a human competitor wins, and is treated like a hero. Even by dragons.

Anorux

Registered
Reaction score
Do be aware that, unless this has a direct bearing on the characters or story, working out all the intricacies and details of an entirely fictional sport can very easily become procrastination and another way to put off actually writing the story itself... It's also something where maybe details can be hammered out in second or third (or more) drafts, with just some vague allusions to "sport" and "goal" and "players" and such made as space-fillers in the first draft.

I have to say, I have been procrastinating writing the story, I've been scared to write it because I know I'm going to do a terrible job with it

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I have been procrastinating writing the story, I've been scared to write it because I know I'm going to do a terrible job with it
It'll still be way, way, way better than the blank page you've got right now!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

I'm reasonably certain we've all been there/done that. At some point, though, the story needs to be written, or at least attempted, or it melts back into the mental ether... unseen, unread, untried, unexplored.

It's also possible this is a sign that you have ideas, but not a story yet.

As a quick bad explanation:

Ideas are a world, a character, a what-if, a tone/mood, an image, a scene... Fragments, puzzle pieces, Lego bricks.

A story is what that character is doing in that world with the what-if, to get to that scene (or what they do after it). They're what you build with the bricks.

(Note that sometimes the story you think you're writing when you start isn't what the story actual is/wants to be about... this is one of those things that's unearthed in the outline process or the draft process, and can change as the words are refined and things evolve.)

It'll still be way, way, way better than the blank page you've got right now!

This. You can always edit a written page. Even a badly-written page. The only thing to do with a blank page is fill it with words.

Reactions: Anorux and Lundgren