What are you reading?

PAH13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I stayed up reading Unearthly by Cynthia Hand last night. Not sure what it was that made me not able to put it down, but it was well worth the lack of sleep.

Now starting to re-read the first 4 books in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series so I can read Shadowfever.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick. She highlights the lives of former North Koreans who escaped. The book makes me want to kick Kim's ass bad for what he's done/doing to his people.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Books

The Fields of Death by Simon Scarrow, the final installment of a four novel series following the parallel lives of Napoleon & Wellington.

A fantastic read and highly recommended, particularly for those of you who enjoy Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our own Stacia Kane, Demon Possessed. I've been making it a point to read AW authors, especially those outside my usual genre.

MM

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I like mysteries, and this one's been kind of a big deal lately so I'm finally getting around to reading it. I'm 300 pages in, and this book has made me realized that I read more for the writing and than story. It's just pages after pages of the author telling the reader everything they need to know. And then it repeats it all again fifty pages later. I get it, Lisbeth is sullen and doesn't like to talk to people. I don't need several paragraphs stating the fact.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Naked and the Dead. It's amazing to me Norman Mailer was 23 when he wrote it.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
At my wife's insistence, I read Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper. I liked the story and what the author learned from the spirit of her blind cat.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

I wish I could remember Oryx and Crake better.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Just finished EDITH'S DIARY by Patricia Highsmith and am starting PRODIGAL SUMMER by Barbara Kingsolver.

Also, first time ever, I read my novel-to-be ENIGMA this week without once thinking "this really sucks." That's progress.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
A TALE OF TWO CITIES - Dickens

Can't say I'm in love, but I'm still going.

Mr. Pocket Keeper

Registered
Reaction score
The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien (Believe it or not, I've never read it. Never read LOTR either. That's next.)

and

The Secret Servant by Daniel Silva

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Have very recently finished re-reading The Trip To Jerusalem (1990) by Edward Marston, part of his Elizabethan mysteries series. Nome de plume for UK writer Keith Miles.

Very personable book, with believable characters, a wonderful sense of place & historical context. Some good laughs, and it never drags.

Have just tonight taken out The Second Ring of Power (1977) by Carlos Castaneda, part of the Teachings of Don Yuan series. Never read the first 3 books. Castaneda was a big hit in the late 60s & 70s.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Haruki Murakami's "A Wild Sheep Chase". I love his work, and I've read many of his novels. This one's an earlier work however, and I can tell; it isn't quite as well-written as his later stuff. Perhaps it'll catch its stride within the next few chapters.

I'm also working through the works of H.P. Lovecraft. As much as I love the guy, some of his works are exhausting to read.

Have read 3 of Murakami's works: Norwegian Wood, After the Quake (referencing the '95 Kobe earthquake), and Kafka On The Shore. I really liked them all, as all were different, but seem to have a warmth about them. Haven't yet read ...Sheep Chase.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Just finished Eric Clapton's Autobiography. I'm still reading "Undaunted Courage" a biography of Merriwether Lewis. I'm a Sacajawea fan, have been since I was a kid. I have one called Black Flag--Pirates in History, but can't seem to get into it. Our town is very small and our library depends on circulating books from other libraries for new books. The library budgets have been whacked down to almost nothing, so it's slim pickings. The cuts had to be made and it is more reasonable to cut books than say schools or fire departments. I'm thinking this bookish geezer needs to go electronic--s6

Last edited:

PAH13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge. I'm a big fan of her UF adult series, so I have high hopes for her new YA series.